Home > Training > Cochrane Critical Appraisal
An Introduction to the Cochrane Library and Critical Appraisal of Quantitative Research
A half day workshop designed as an introduction to evidence-based medicine and critical appraisal of QUANTITATIVE research. This course is free, available to all NHS and social care staff in Essex and can be delivered at any sites in Essex. EPUT, ACE and NELFT staff who work outside Essex may also attend if an equivalent session is not available at their local healthcare library.
It is also available for specific staff groups/teams/departments and can be embedded in your department training programme or booked as a stand-alone course, perhaps as part of a departmental training day.
This workshop is accredited for 3 CPD points by the Royal College of Anaesthetists and The Institute of Biomedical Science.
- To introduce participants to the nature and content of the Cochrane Library, and the importance of evidence based healthcare.
- To introduce participants to the concept of critical appraisal.
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- Understand the meaning of "Evidence Based Medicine"
- Understand the nature and content of the Cochrane Library
- Be able to navigate around a systematic review
- Understand what Critical Appraisal is and what it is not
- Be aware of some of the different types of research
- Understand the key features of quantitative research
- Be able to interpret basic statistics within a research paper
- Gain experience in critically appraising a research paper
Date and Duration
|An Introduction to the Cochrane Library & Critical Appraisal||Wednesday 23rd May 10am-12pm at The Linden Centre, Chelmsford for EPUT staff||Book This Course|
- You need to be a member of Basildon, Colchester or Harlow Healthcare Library. (You can book online if you are not already a member and join either beforehand or on the day).
- Basic computer experience (keyboard and mouse skills)
- Basic Internet experience (familiar with typing in web addresses, clicking on links, using back / forward buttons)
For more information, contact Liz Hunwick, Library Services Manager, Tel: 01268 524900 Ext 8272
For more useful information about evidence based medicine and critical appraisal check out our Helpful Websites